We support urban development by making sure new medium and high density residential or industrial and commercial developments on the UE network have access to safe and reliable power. We also make way for major infrastructure projects to safely proceed in the vicinity of our network assets.
Our services include:
- Providing a new power supply (both temporary for the construction phase, and permanent for the final development)
- Installing, removing or relocating street lighting
We encourage you to apply for any service early in the development process so we can advise how we can best support you.
We are in the process of working on a digital connections process which will streamline how you apply for our services. In the meantime please use the relevant forms found on this page. If a form is not available please email a description of your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once you’ve applied we will contact you to discuss your project needs. We will always initially offer the least-cost solution that meets the technical requirements of the project.
Urban development service process
There is some flexibility in how we can deliver our services depending on your project needs.
- If the project’s design is certain: we can provide you with an offer for design and construction up front, with a Negotiated Connection Contract (NCC) or Recoverable Works Contract (RWC).
- If the project design is not certain: We will need to establish design certainty first, with a Specification and Design Services Contract (SDSC). Once this step is completed, we will provide you with an offer for final design and construction, with an NCC or RWC.
Types of contracts
- Specification and Design Services Contract (SDSC): This is the agreement to establish the project’s scope, specifications and carry out preliminary design to remove uncertainty. An SDSC outlines how we will undertake design investigation activities and determine design certainty.
- Negotiated Connection Contract (NCC): This is the agreement for work required to connect to our distribution network. We issue an NCC for new power supply services (temporary and permanent). This will outline terms and conditions for your project, including what is needed to provide connections to the distribution network, the expected cost, any applicable rebates.
- Recoverable Works Contract (RWC): This is the agreement for work required to rearrange the existing distribution network. We issue an RWC for abolishments and asset relocations.
Speeding up the process
To enable us to provide these services to you as smoothly as possible, there are some simple things you can do.
- Work with a professional to advise your scope
Before you make your application, we advise working with an engineering consultant, registered electrical contractor or builder to advise on your electrical requirements.
- Come to us early
The earlier you engage us in the development process, the sooner we can start the process and work together to achieve your project milestones.
- Provide us any necessary information up front
This includes letting us know the project’s key milestones, so we can best deliver to your needs.
- Apply for multiple services at the same time
For example, when you apply for a permanent power supply for a development, it’s a good idea to also apply for the temporary power supply. That way, we can work together to align delivery of the temporary power supply with the builders on site start date. In some circumstances there may be savings in considering all components of the project at one time.
Documents and resources
United Energy connection policy
This policy outlines the connection services we provide, how connection charges are calculated and the application process.
Our contestability of connection and augmentation guideline.
Subdivision conditions customer guidelines
Explains what you need to know about a condition that may have been placed on a planning permit.
Underground electricity supply application
To enable us to provide you with a quote for underground electricity supply.