Embedded networks


Embedded networks

Apartment blocks, retirement villages, caravan parks and shopping centres are all examples of embedded networks.

Embedded networks are formed when the connection point to our distribution network functions like a parent connection point which then has multiple end-user connection points (or children) linked in. Each of the end-user connections has their own meters to measure electricity consumption.

In this structure, the electrical installation is configured in such a way that the owner of the site (for example, a shopping centre manager), can on-sell electricity to all the occupants.

The connection process varies depending on the type of embedded network.

Greenfield embedded networks

These are new connections for new developments with no existing supply or metering. For these networks, a physical new connection of supply is required and the metering will be established as a ‘parent’ meter in the market to allow ‘distribution’ and ‘on-selling’ to future ‘child’ customers.

A Greenfield embedded network connection requires:

  • Creation of parent metering and energisation
  • Creation of physical supply connection
  • Embedded Network establishment

Brownfield embedded networks

A  brownfield embedded network site is an existing multiple occupancy site with an existing connection to the United Energy distribution network. A brownfield embedded network connection requires:

  • Creation of Parent Metering
  • Embedded Network establishment
  • Child NMI/Meter Management

As there are existing National Metering Identifiers (NMIs) or metering to be converted, exit fees apply. No physical new connection is required, however, the ENOs REC will still need to submit a new connection request to insert a parent meter into the existing supply with a new NMI.

The parent metering can be installed but will not go-live into the market until the Part A & Part B paperwork has been fully completed and returned to the network.

Existing single occupancy embedded network

An existing single occupancy embedded network is when an existing meter/NMI is updated to a parent NMI.

These sites are not Greenfield sites as they are already connected to supply and already have an existing meter in place which will become the parent meter. They also differ from Brownfield multiple occupancy sites as there is only a single occupancy customer currently existing.

In this process, an existing single occupancy meter/NMI is updated as a Parent NMI. The Embedded Network Manager (ENM) will create NMI’s for down-stream Embedded Network Children, once the agreed go live date has occurred and the Parent Meter identification and Embedded Network code has been published by United Energy.

Winding up an embedded network and transfer to distributor connection

An existing embedded network owner (body corporate owners corporation) may request that the site is re-arranged so that all tenants are connected to the distributors electricity network and can choose their own retailer. The embedded network ceases to exist, the parent meter and its NMI, is abolished, and new metering/NMI established for each tenant who become on-market customers of the distributor. Connecting to the distributor network may require some customer-owned infrastructure upgrades to enable a compliant connection and metering arrangements.

Winding up of an embedded network connection requires:

  1. Written request from the embedded network owner to convert the site to the distributors on-market metering
  2. New connection process each for tenant
  3. Meters installed and allocated of NMIs

The diagram below explains the process flow of the cessation of an embedded network site.

Requests for winding up of an Embedded Network can be made via

The application form and checklist for winding up an embedded network are available in the documents section below.

Becoming an Exempt Embedded Network Service Provider

Electricity is supplied to End Users in an embedded network by an Exempt Embedded Network Service Provider (EENSP). Under section 13 of the National Electricity Law anyone who owns, controls or operates a distribution system must either be:

  • registered with AEMO (Australian Energy Market Operator) as an NSP (Network Service Provider); or
  • exempted from the requirement to be an NSP by the AER (Australian Energy Regulator).

Anyone seeking exemption from the requirement to register as an NSP must apply to the AER. If the exemption is granted, that person becomes an EENSP.

To assist potential applicants for exemption, the AER has published an Electricity Network Service Provider Registration Exemption Guideline.

Appointing an Embedded Network Manager

You may require an Embedded Network Manager (ENM) to be appointed. The ENM role was introduced under the Australian Energy Market Commission’s (AEMN) Power of Choice reforms. For more information on the role of the AENM is available on the AEMO website.

Endorsement for wholesale demand response

A new wholesale demand response mechanism has been introduced into the National Electricity Market. A person needs to be registered with the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) as a demand response service provider (DRSP) to aggregate two or more wholesale demand response units (WDRU) for the purposes of providing demand response by reducing load or exporting behind the meter generation.

To approve an aggregation of WDRUs, AEMO must be satisfied that power system security will not be materially affected by the proposed aggregation. Our endorsement will be used to help AEMO with this assessment.

Our endorsement is required where a DRSP’s proposed aggregation would:

  • add one or more WDRUs to an aggregated dispatchable unit identifier; and
  • includes WDRUs at or behind a single transmission node with an aggregate maximum responsive component of 5 MW or greater.

To obtain our endorsement, please complete the wholesale demand response endorsement application form and return to

We will use best endeavours to provide our endorsement within 25 business days. Our assessment will commence once we have received all necessary information together with the payment of the fee. An invoice for the fee will be issued after we receive your application.


Registered electrical contractors

Registered electrical contractors

Developers and builders

Developers and builders