We provide three types of connections.
1. Basic connections apply to small to mid-size connections that generally only involve the meter and don’t need any upgrades or alterations to our network. They must also meet the following criteria;
- There is supply to the premise and only a single point of connection
- There is no on-sale of electricity to other customers within the premise (ie embedded network)
- For overhead powerlines: there is no more than 45 metres of powerline extensions from the distribution pole to the premise, and there is a maximum of 20 metres of powerline extensions within the premise boundaries
- For underground connections: there is an existing pit next to the premise boundary and the pit does not need any upgrades.
2. Standard connections apply when our network doesn't quite reach the property, or houses are in sub-divisions and some semi-rural areas.
3. Negotiated connections are provided to the following customers;
- Commercial customers (eg real estate developers, large businesses)
- Industrial customers (eg manufacturers)
- Residential customers where a network extension or upgrade (‘augmentation’) is required (eg pole to pit or rural supply areas).
For negotiated embedded generation connections (above 30kW), please refer to Negotiated Embedded Generation Connections webpage.
For re-energisations we will reconnect your supply on the same business day if the request is received from your electricity retailer before 3pm, or the next business day for requests received after 3pm.
If reconnection is safe and able to be performed remotely via our smart meter communication network, we will reconnect your supply within two hours of a valid request from you or your retailer.
We can still reconnect your supply on the same business day when a request is received between 3pm and 9pm, but an after hours fee may apply. Remote re-energisations are available between 8am and 9pm on Saturday, Sunday, and Public Holidays.
De-energisations occur between 9:00am and 5:00pm Monday to Friday, with disconnection requests occurring between 9:00am and 2:00pm Monday to Thursday.
Online connection application service
All connections, alterations and abolishment applications, must be submitted online directly to United Energy via the online connection application service. You will no longer need to submit connection applications using paper forms to Retailers. United Energy will accept and validate your online application before sending it on to your nominated Retailer on your behalf.
United Energy’s online connection application service streamlines the connections process and allows you to:
- submit and track new connections (metered and unmetered supply), alterations, and abolishment applications
- submit pre-approval for a rooftop solar connection or a small-scale battery (up to 30kVA total inverter capacity at the premises)
- submit applications for:
- new supply connections
- modification to existing supply connections
- new embedded generation and battery connections (both registered and non-registered as per the National Electricity Rules)
- modifications to existing embedded generation and battery connections (both registered and non-registered as per the National Electricity Rules)
- registration of electric vehicle charging units connected to UE network - electric vehicle charging units are currently considered as load connections only that do not have the capability to feed power to the grid.
The benefits of the online connection application service include:
- using a single log on to register as a REC, LEW and/or Solar Installer
- the choice to manage which LEWs can submit applications on your behalf (REC only)
- paper application forms replaced by simplified, easy-to-use online forms with built-in validation and guidance to improve submission accuracy, meaning fewer rejected applications and follow-up requests
- submitting new connection, alteration, and abolishment applications directly to United Energy rather than via Retailers
- the ability to save drafts for up to 7 days
- submit bundled applications for multiple jobs at the same site (REC only)
- selecting a truck appointment at a time convenient for you
- making payments in near real-time
- receiving updates on application progress via SMS and/or email, tracking your application progress in real-time, and receiving notifications on actions required to progress your application
- submitting enquiries directly to the team processing your application
- easy 24/7 access via the United Energy website on your laptop, PC, or smart device
Click here to register for United Energy’s online connection application service.
To assist you with navigating the new service, we have created supporting materials, which can be found here.
We always recommend working with a licenced electrician (or Registered Electrical Contractor) or other specialist providers like an energy retailer or solar installer, as they can submit applications on your behalf. Specialist providers can:
- Organise new connections. They will need to include an Electrical Work Request and a Prescribed Certificate of Electrical Safety to support your application.
- Turn supply on or off. They will need to let us know of changes to your electricity supply.
- Abolish electricity supply. They will need to send us the relevant abolishment of electrical supply form.
Any charges associated with these services will appear on your electricity bills, separate from your consumption or network costs. You can find pricing schedules in the documents table below.
United Energy’s online connection application service is here!
Documents and resources
United Energy connection policy
This policy outlines the connection services we provide, how connection charges are calculated and the application process.
United Energy 2022-23 Pricing Proposal
United Energy 2022/23 Pricing Proposal to the AER. It covers all our tariff classes, standard control services, alternative control services and network & metering charges from July 2022 to June 2023.
2022-23 Retailer Network Tariff FAQs
United Energy 2022-23 Tariff FAQs
Negotiated connection contract
From 1 July 2021
United Energy Deemed Distribution Contract
Provides the distributors and customers respective rights and obligations concerning the provision of connections services under the electricity laws
MSO for Basic Connection with Micro Embedded Generation
This contract is required connecting a solar system (or another type of embedded generator) that is also subject to your pre-approval outcome.
MSO for Basic Connection without Micro Embedded Generation
Model Standing Offer for Retail Customers other than micro embedded generators.