United Energy has launched a new mandatory pre-approval service for micro embedded generation systems (including rooftop solar and small-scale batteries) for systems up to 30kVA total inverter capacity at the premises.
The new pre-approval service has been launched as part of United Energy’s new online connection application service.
Micro embedded generation system pre-approval will:
- ensure solar exports are made available fairly and equitably to all customers
- ensure customers, solar retailers, accredited installers, Registered Electrical Contractors (RECs), Licensed Electrical Workers (LEWs) are better informed about network conditions to inform solar and battery system selection
- improve customer experience with their solar systems by reducing system outages and improving power quality
- help maintain voltage compliance for all customers in their neighbourhood.
Pre-approval will be quick and easy to apply for, with an outcome available in minutes in most cases.
Other benefits include:
- built in validations with Clean Energy Council approved device lists and DERR information to help applicants meet compliance requirements and improve submission accuracy
- customers, applicants and up to three additional contacts can receive a copy of the pre-approval outcome via email
- post approval, information will be sent to customers and their representatives to help understand the costs, benefits, and technical requirements for installing their solar/battery system
- where the approval outcome is lower than applied for, or export is unavailable, UE will send applicants an email inviting them to reapply for pre-approval if and when network capacity becomes available
- up to 120 days post approval to complete installation and submit an alteration request
Pre-Approval and Subsequent Connection
All applications for micro embedded generation systems up to 30kVA total inverter capacity at the premises must now obtain pre-approval from United Energy on the new online connection application service before installation. RECs/LEWs or accredited solar installers need to advise United Energy of any subsequent embedded generation system installation by:
- submitting an alteration request on the new online connection application service
- referencing the previously obtained pre-approval number
- providing details of the embedded generation systems installed
- providing a Certificate of Electrical Safety
United Energy will accept and validate your online solar alteration application before sending it on to your nominated Retailer on your behalf.
You can continue to submit new micro embedded generation connection applications using the current paper forms to Retailers until Sunday 29 May. Any applications that are inflight up till 29 May will continue to be processed using current processes post go-live until completed. You will not need to apply for pre-approval for these applications.
New Preliminary Assessment Service
At the same time the new micro embedded generation and online connections applications services are released, we have launched a new Preliminary Assessment for customers seeking to connect unregistered negotiated embedded generation systems (typically between 30kVA – 1MVA), which would provide high level information on available network capacity.
Customers can use the Preliminary Assessment outcome to inform their investment decision. If they proceed to the next stage of the connection process, they can reference the Preliminary Assessment outcome, reducing the time required for UE to assess their application.
To obtain further information about the new pre-approval services, please:
- submit a query to firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to go to the online connection application service.
To assist you with navigating the new service, we have created supporting materials, which can be found here.