Smart meters are safe and accurate, and they help us meet your power demands. It means you know your electricity bills will be accurate, rather than an estimate or average. They’ve made a real difference to improving the safety, reliability, and efficiency of our network.
The data we gather from smart meters helps us keep your supply of power consistent, as well as monitor the performance of our network.
Benefits of smart meters
- We can provide services like Interactive Voice Response and SMS to automatically advise you of power outages.
- We can keep track of power supply for life support customers and prioritise them during outages.
- We can help you get the most out of an investment in solar as we can manage exports to our network safely and reduce trips of your system.
- We can prevent electric shocks by using data to identify neutral integrity issues that can allow electrical current to pass through pipes.
- We can better identify the location of faults caused by a customer’s home which can affect power supplies within their community.
- We can detect faults on our network faster and organise asset replacements before problems occur.
- We can share and rotate energy to keep your lights on when electricity supplies fall short.
- Faults at your home can be detected and rectified, sometimes even before you know they’ve occured.
- A greater number of services can be delivered remotely which helps us keep distribution charges low.
What we do
What we do