Summer safety is important especially if you live in a bushfire prone area.
You can determine if you reside in a bushfire prone area by using the Bushfire Prone Area Map. The Map fulfils one of the 67 recommendations made by the Victorian Bushfires Royal Commission and can be found at the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning website.
Here are a few things you can do to help reduce bushfire risk and be prepared.
Be prepared for power outages:
- Read about what to do in a power outage
- Have an emergency kit ready with a torch, batteries,a radio and water
- Understand how automatic gates and garage doors operate manually
- Plan alternative forms of electricity early (e.g. if you rely on electricity to pump water or are on life support)
Help reduce bushfire risk:
- Maintain Private Overhead Electrical Lines
- Be on the lookout for trees close to powerlines
- Report trees/branches on powerlines by calling 13 22 06
Stay aware and up to date:
- Download Vic Emergency App
- Check current warnings and updates at emergency.vic.gov.au
- Check the outage page on website
Business owners are encouraged to:
- Back-up their data and keep duplicate copies of all important documents in a secure location;
- Consider alternative power sources such as a small generator which can keep refrigeration going during longer outages;
- Check insurance policies are up to date and;
- Consider how employees will be contacted in an emergency and if power is interrupted.